How We Developed Our Approach to Wellness Marketing and Strategy
Leslie Nolen, Radial's president
- I'm really, really good at spotting the best competitive niche for your wellness business and "unsticking" your progress to the next level
- I've been a CFO, COO and I'm a non-practicing CPA and reformed liberal arts major
- I've seen pretty much everything, thanks to 20+ years of senior management in tiny startups through the Fortune 500, in sales, marketing, operations, finance, human resources, & strategy
- I've been neck-deep in leading M&A due diligence and pitching deals to private equity investors
- I'm a frequent source for national media like PBS Marketwatch, The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Business Week, & Fortune
- I love broccoli, World War II books, Monty Python, and the 2011 remake of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy."
- I learned everything I know about marketing from the squirrels in my backyard.
How - and why - Radial came to be.
Radial's been around since 2003. And since Day 1, our focus has been on helping you find the best wellness business growth strategies and wellness marketing techniques to expand your health and wellness businesses, whether you're a solo practitioner or a brand most of us would instantly recognize.
And I still love the fact that I might work with a small wellness practice at 9 a.m., be on a conference call with a $50M business after lunch, and talk strategy with a multibillion healthcare provider at 4 p.m. It's never boring!
We've added services to fill industry gaps that frustrated our customers and clients. At first, we just offered wellness strategy consulting and our free wellness marketing newsletter. Then we added marketing services to help you implement our ideas - whether it's website marketing, a brochure, help publishing a book....and on and on. And last year, we added video-on-demand training, books and unique promotional products for health and wellness businesses.
We still serve one customer at a time.
Today, although most of our wellness marketing business is still in the U.S., we serve clients, customers and subscribers around the globe. In a single week, I might get emails from down in Austin, a few hours away - and talk to a client as far away as New Zealand. And customers from Chicago, IL to Oxford, MS (my hometown) might buy our promotional products.
Yet my proudest moment is still hearing from a client last year that "Leslie works with me as if I'm the only client in her world - she's completely present and engaged." The same thing can be said for everyone on our team, from writers to designers to customer service.
Wellness really is different.
The typical practices of other industries - cut corners on service, hire cheap labor, and pressure prospective customers - don't work in health and wellness. After all, decisions about individual wellbeing are among the most personal choices consumers make. So we're all about finding smart ways to use big business knowhow - adapted specifically for health and wellness businesses of every size.
We haven't changed a bit.
We started out with a list of four values that really mattered to us. That list hasn't changed in nearly ten years:
- Ethical - Your ideas stay your ideas. Our discussions remain confidential. If we have a financial relationship with a vendor we recommend, we tell you.
- Objective - We share your excitement and energy. But we’re not “yes men.” If we think your business is heading in the wrong direction, we say so.
- Realistic - No silver bullets, surprises or gotchas - just realistic ideas and plans, clearly communicated.
- Committed - we support everyone trying to make a healthier world, regardless of their financial resources, through our Acorn Award and other free resources.