When you need to find a better way forward, start with our strategy consulting services.
- Challenged by slow growth?
- Overwhelmed by explosive growth?
- Trying to pinpoint your ideal customer, client or patient?
- Wondering how to dial in your strongest competitive position?
- How to remove sales friction hotspots?
- Or just figure out the best way to win customers?
You and your team are immersed in your business, 24/7, day in and day out. There’s hardly any time to think big-picture before the phone rings again.
Plus, it’s completely impossible to be objective and analytical about your own company, its strengths, and its best growth prospects.
That’s our job — to help you get knowledge, insight and answers that let you confidently determine your next steps.
Here’s what we don’t do:
We don’t go along to get along. If we think your direction is likely to fail, we are going to tell you that upfront and explain why we’re concerned.
We don’t do 3-ring binders full of superficial — but beautifully formatted! — business plans that conveniently skip over concrete, practical details.
We don’t regurgitate the same “me-too” ideas that you can read for yourself on the Internet.
We don’t do life coaching or accountability coaching. Our clients already have a sense of where they want to go, and they’re committing time, money and attention to it.
Through a series of phone calls, detailed data gathering and analysis, in-depth discussions, and our 15+ years of health, wellness and healthcare experience, we work with you to deep-dive into business-critical questions like these:
Financial & other big-picture decisions
- How to balance our cash and spending burn rate with healthy long-term business growth?
- Where and how should we prioritize investment in our business for growth, visibility, appeal to investors, etc.?
- What’s the best way to pitch our story to potential investors?
- What are the pros and cons of a new business collaboration or relationship we’re considering?
Programs and products
- What’s the right way to structure and price our programs and services to maximize revenue, profit and customer retention
- How can we ensure the successful launch of our new weight loss program?
- What marketing support does our new service need to attract customers quickly?
- What does it take to enter a brand-new geographic or demographic market?
- How many sales are we likely to be able to make in a given geography or demographic segment?
Sales, marketing & competition
- Who is our ideal-fit customer and about how many of them are available to us?
- What are the rational and emotional factors that ultimately lead people to choose our business?
- How can we differentiate ourselves, and how can we strengthen our competitive position?
- How can we more clearly communicate what makes our wellness business different from everyone else?
- How can we build a following of potential clients?
- How can we generate more, and better qualified, leads and prospects for our fitness center?
- How can we sell through additional sales channels?
- How can we upsell, cross-sell and retain the clients of our healthy lifestyle practice?
“This whole process was eye-opening. This is the first time it really feels like all the dots are connected. We are so, so much clearer on how to make this work now.”
When is strategy consulting most useful?
- You’ve gotten your business as far as you can yourselves OR
- You’ve got a great program or service that just hasn’t gotten the success you expected OR
- You want to sanity-check an idea you think is radically new and innovative
When is marketing consulting most useful?
When one or more of these descriptions describes your wellness business:
- Your marketing plans are more influenced by your competitor’s marketing than by your own vision for your business
- Your wellness business only markets your programs and services sporadically, or through only one channel
- Your team keeps saying that they know what customers want — but revenue and sales are stagnant
- You’re spending a lot of time and money on marketing — yet revenue and customer growth are stalled
- You’re doing what you’ve always done, and it worked pretty well in the past — but lately, the results seem to be dwindling
How long will it take?
Depending upon your availability and the complexity of your business, we can usually work through all the big-picture strategic questions in about 30 – 45 days.
What does it cost?
Our consulting rates currently start at $250/hour and are invoiced as work progresses. We do not use upfront retainers or prepayments.
Do you work with companies our size?
We typically work with:
- Local, regional, and national and health and wellness businesses of all sizes — tiny to large
- Solopreneurs, including program innovators/developers and authors, speakers, and other entrepreneurs
Virtually all have been in business for at least 3 years.
For new one- or two-person businesses led by health and wellness professionals with no significant prior business experience and extremely limited budgets, we suggest the Small Business Administration’s free SCORE mentoring program.
How does it work?
We start by getting clear on what your objectives are: what the most important questions you need to answer?
Then, we ask LOTS of questions. Some will seem obvious and others will really make you think about your products, customers, and every other important corner of your business.
We look at whatever data you have available — financial statements, price lists, customer data and so on.
We do our own research on external conditions that affect you, like your realistic local market size.
And we share our extensive insights based on our experience in virtually every corner of the industry.
As we work together, we’re progressively answering the questions that you identified as critical at the outset.
Who do we actually work with?
Our president Leslie Nolen handles most of our strategy projects.