But…it can also be a great way to blow through thousands of dollars in just a few weeks — with little to show for it.
Successful PPC advertising is an art and a science
Successful pay-per-click advertising is not “set it and forget” marketing. It’s both an art and a science, with three distinct components:
- Knowledge about the health and wellness industry
- Insight into your specific business and customers
- Active, ongoing analysis, tweaking and tuning of your ads, ad extensions, keywords AND landing pages based on CTR, conversion rate and cost per conversion results and trends
When performance lags, what should you tweak? Ads? Keywords? Landing pages? Something else? It’s easy to make changes — but hard to know which changes to make.
Ads and keywords cannot be cookbooked. PPC only delivers a return on investment when its tailored to your business, your market, and your ideal customer.
Relying exclusively on the recommendations of PPC consultants without industry knowledge, or on the recommendations of automated tools, can erroneously exclude high-value keywords like “cantaloupe migraine”, a term specific to migraine triggers that’s instantly meaningful in health and wellness. We know this really happens because a fellow we interviewed for a search position thought that phrase should be a negative keyword — wrong! His assumption would have cost his client’s business potential customers.
That’s why someone who never talks to you, and does PPC “blind” without any knowledge of your business, nearly always sub-optimizes your campaigns. They mean well, but they don’t know what they don’t know. They’re applying what they know from working with restaurants, auto repair shops, clothing retailers and others to health. But people simply don’t buy health and wellness the same way they buy an oil change.
Moreover, even within health and wellness, each business has unique goals and an “ideal customer” around which your PPC strategy should be designed. For example, “simple, easy weight loss” is not an effective headline for every weight-loss program out there. “Bikini body” is not a meaningful goal for every prospective fitness client.
The bottom line: you can’t mail it in and expect to see a return on your PPC investment. On the other hand, active management based on analysis of what’s working can actually get you new customers. And best of all, you’ll know exactly what combination of ad, keyword, ad extension, landing page and more actually worked.
An audit is a good idea if you’re wondering:
- Is my ad spending out of line for other businesses like ours?
- Should our ad budget keep creeping up?
- Are our PPC campaigns really worth the money?
- Is our PPC consultant or in-house team actually doing a good job?
Get an objective, expert audit of your PPC ROI
We offer a detailed, completely individualized audit of your current AdWords performance.
Step 1: a detailed telephone interview that identifies your specific business and financial goals. This lets us:
- Provide guidance on a reasonable budget in the context of your specific business and financial goals and explain why that budget makes sense.
- Suggest specific ways to structure your campaigns based on your ideal customer and unique programs and services.
Step 2: we dig into your results. We do an in-depth and extensive analysis of these elements and more:
- Your AdWords campaign results, including detailed evaluation of trends in click-through-rates, conversions, and more
- Identifying specifically what’s working and what’s not for for your ads, ad extensions, keywords, landing pages and more
- Providing specific recommendations for fixing hot-spot problems and capitalizing on important opportunities
- Detailed identification of campaign segmentation and retargeting opportunities to align spending against business goals
- Financial review of your AdWords performance, including specific recommendations on where to curtail or increase spending
- Identification of high-performing areas you don’t need to change right now
Here are just a few of the issues we typically catch and tell you how to fix:
- Common (and lazy) practices like keyword stuffing in your ads and landing pages
- Functionally duplicate keywords not caught by automated tools, for which you may be paying twice
- Hundreds of keywords for a single ad
- Overuse of expensive broad search keywords
- Keywords with extremely low conversion rates
- Superficial, cookie-cutter ads that convey nothing about your business
- Failure to use conversion tracking
- Failure to use ad extensions or other advanced features
- Evidence that accounts and campaigns have not been actively managed in months
Step 3: we provide you with a written report of our findings, and discuss the audit results with you by phone.
You’re also welcome to email us with follow-up questions for 15 days after that discussion, too.
The bottom line: You will understand PPC like you’ve never understood it before, and you’ll end up with an actionable blueprint based on your specific business performance and objectives.
It’s a roadmap that will help you manage the results you’re getting from your existing PPC consultant or your own in-house team.
I see free PPC review tools all over the web. Why isn’t this free?
Free reviews are teasers. They give you just a little information, but not a lot — certainly not enough to evaluate how well your current PPC campaigns are doing.
And the information they give you is carefully calibrated to keep you wanting more by balancing encouraging feedback and criticism, to hint at improvement opportunities without really telling you anything specific. They’re primarily lead generation tools intended to eventually get you to buy their PPC campaign management services.
- Our audits are done one client at a time, by real people with decades of industry expertise who actually understand your business.
- Our audits are strategic. Your report explains how to make sure your PPC advertising stays aligned with your business goals and direction.
- Our audits are objective. We have no incentive to invent “improvement opportunities.” If your current PPC campaigns are working well, we’re happy to confirm that so you can sleep well at night.
It’s the difference between a tantalizing sample designed to get you to do something that benefits the vendor, and a full audit whose sole purpose is the benefit of your business.
Get Your PPC Audit Started
Starts at $895 for most wellness businesses with a single brick-and-mortar location
Email us or call (877) 851-0098 to get your PPC audit started.